Highlights of Amaravati Bhoomi Pooja
1. Amid chanting of Vedic hymns, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu performed 'amaravati bhoomi pooja' or ground breaking ceremony of the new state capital Amaravati on 5th June 2015.
2. As the clock struck 8:49 am, Mr Naidu accompanied by his wife Bhuvaneswari and son N Lokesh performed the rituals at a colourful ceremony in Mandadam village in Guntur district, about 20 km from Vijayawada, amaravati region.
3. Central and state ministers, lawmakers, state legislators, senior officials and leaders of the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) participated in prayers and other rituals which continued for two hours.
4. A group of priests had started the prayers, including a 'havan', much earlier as per Vaishnavite tradition at 3 am in the village, located on the banks of Krishna River.
5. Mr Naidu, his family members and ministers poured cement into a pit to mark the ceremony. A basin made with a kilogram of silver and gold coated shovel were among the masonry implements used on the occasion.
6. The chief minister later ploughed the field with a traditional ploughshare while his wife sowed 'navaratnalu' (nine chief grains) in the soil.